Section 37.9(e)

  San Francisco Rent Ordinance Section 37.9(e) states: “It shall be unlawful for a landlord or any other person who willfully assists the landlord to endeavor to recover possession or to evict a tenant except as provided in Section 37.9(a) and (b). Any person endeavoring to recover possession of a rental unit from a tenant

Keep Spouses Off of the Lease

September 2008 Q: Our tenant just asked if she could add her new husband to the lease. Can we deny her request? Yes, and you absolutely should deny this request. Adding someone to a lease agreement may make the new person a co-tenant. Under a state law known as the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act, rent can be re-set beyond

Waiting for the Repair Guy

My tenant’s stove is broken and the service company has given me a four-hour window during which they will arrive. If I give the tenant proper notice, can I expect her to be home until the work is finished and the service person leaves? If not, what should I do? There is no proper notice

Judging Judges

This message is being sent with utmost urgency. Unlike the typical and expected maneuverings by our Board of Supervisors of fronting irresponsible and harmful legislation, this November we face a far more serious threat to our industry: a judicial election. Many of you have probably paid little, if any, attention to the challenge by Supervisor Gerardo

OMI Units

My mother lives in one of the units in my building.  Recently, she has needed more help and I would like to vacate one of the units so that I can stay over on nights when she needs me.  I don’t plan to make the unit my primary residence; I just want to sleep over

Subdividing a Home

I own a single-family home, which I use as an office, but live elsewhere. I rent out the bedrooms, but there is no master tenant. Does my building fall under rent control? Many owners mistakenly believe that single-family homes are exempt from rent control.  In most instances, if the home was built before June 13,